All Sizzle, Yes Steak !



What a time to be alive! If anyone knows me, they know my true love for food. The other night, my fiancé treated me to dinner at a steakhouse where I have always wanted to go, Tellers Steakhouse. Tellers Steakhouse was made in an old bank and is located in Islip, Long Island. Since we went on a random Monday, it wasn’t too busy but on the weekends it gets really busy. When we were walking to our table, I saw someone eating a huge steak and I was like “Wow! I have to try that!” my fiancé looked at me and was like “oh my god what is that?” and I said, “I don’t know, but I am definitely getting one!” When we sat down and looked at the menu, everything looked amazing. But then I took a look at the prices and it was really expensive! One thing my parents always told me was, “When it comes to food, don’t be cheap!” So when I saw my 48 oz. Tomahawk Steak listed at $87 I was shocked. But hey! You get what you pay for so I’m sure it was definitely worth every penny! My fiancé ordered the filet mignon and we both shared macaroni and cheese and burnt broccoli. The burnt broccoli has always been a recommendation when I would ask people what is good to eat at Tellers. Sure enough, everyone was right. The burnt broccoli was to die for! But when my steak came out, I had tunnel vision: Me vs. the Steak. I devoured the entire thing. After dinner we both shared a desert, which is our favorite from any restaurant, Chocolate Lava Cake. It’s a warm chocolate brownie cake with hot fudge in the middle, and a side of ice cream. What an amazing combination. We definitely had a food coma that night. When the check came out, it cost almost $300 for both of us. And we were like “Wow! That’s a lot.” But in my opinion, it was worth every penny. 



Vocabulary Words
  1. Random (adjective)- Made, done, happening or without method or conscious decision
  2. Definitely (adverb)- Without doubt
  3. Amazing (adjective)- causing great surprise or wonder; astonishing
  4. Opinion (noun)- a view or judgement viewed about something
  5. Recommendation(noun) - a suggestion or proposal as to the best course of action
  6. Combination (noun)- an arrangement of elements
  7. Enough (adverb)- to the required degree or extent 

Vocabulary Exercise

Fill in the blanks with the correct word from the list given.
1.    I am full, I                     had enough food for tonight.
2.    The vanilla ice cream and chocolate brownie made a perfect                .
3.    I asked my mom for a                          of a good place to get sushi.
4.    In my                           , I thought our meal was a bit overpriced.
5.    I love my fiancé. She is                       .
6.    This has                        been the best steak I have ever eaten.
7.    This was the most                     dinner date ever. It was totally unexpected.



Grammar Point
Punctuation
Can you imagine what a sentence without any punctuation would be like? Without proper punctuation, it would be unreadable. Knowing when and how to use the period, comma, colon, semicolon, and other punctuation marks will make your writing smoother and more understandable.
Endmarks: All sentences need an endmark: a period, question mark, exclamation point, or ellipsis. Never put two endmarks at the end of the same sentence.
Apostrophes: For singular ownership, generally add’s; for plural ownership, generally add s’.
Commas: In direct address, use commas to separate the name from the rest of the sentence. In lists, place commas between items in a list, but not before the first item. Before conjunctions, when combining two complete sentences with a conjunction, place a comma before the conjunction. If you have one subject and two verbs, don’t put a comma before the conjunction.
Hyphens: If two words create a single description, put a hyphen between them if the description comes before the word that it’s describing. Don’t hyphenate two-word descriptions if the first word ends in -ly.
Colon: Use a colon after an independent clause that precedes a list and to separate an explanation, rule, or example from a preceding independent clause.
Semicolon: Use a semicolon to join independent clauses in compound sentences that do not have coordinating conjunctions (and, or, but, nor, for, so, yet) and commas as connectors. Words like however, moreover, thus, and therefore, are often used as connectors in these sentences. You can also use semicolons to separate long or complicated items in a series that already includes commas, and to separate two long or complex independent clauses joined by a coordinating conjunction if confusion would result from using a comma.


Grammar Exercise 
Which one will you use? Put it on the line next to the sentence. 
1.    Where did he go       
2.    Wow, that was amazing        
3.    Excuse me       What kind of steak is that   
4.    Tellers is located in an old bank      
5.    It was an expensive dinner             
6.    We came to the steak house for a casual dinner   
7.    Where did I park my car      
8.    Thanks for dinner     I appreciate it           

Comments

  1. What a steak! We have eaten there once or twice. I think someone gave us a gift certificate, so we went. I met the owner once because he was looking for someone to teach his staff English. He didn't like that I don't speak Spanish though, so I didn't get the job (just a part-time one, of course).

    I like your grammar point and exercise.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts